Rough drafts:

Green wear stage:
Reference:


   For my principle of design project I didn’t have a certain reference of an artist I went off of. I thought of the idea of making a bowl with a spiral illusion because I thought it would have a cool effect. My principle of design was movement because your eyes move in a spiral around the piece. My piece hasn’t been fired yet so I don’t have a final picture of it glazed. 

Describe: The goal for my piece is to create a black and white spiral effect on a bowl. There are many cut outs in the bowl that I will be coloring to crate the illusion. If you spin the bowl around the goal is for it to look like the spinning spiral illusion. The design of the bowl is very basic but I didn’t want to add too much to it because I wanted to focus on the movement of the piece and the illusion. 

Analyze: The principle of design my piece focuses on is movement. The spiral black and white illusion creates a movement effect. Even if you don’t spin the piece around your eyes still move all around the piece noticing the indents in the piece. Another principle of design in this piece that is less noticeable is pattern. There is a pattern  in the cut outs I did in the bowl and once I glaze it there will be a black and white pattern also.

Interpret: This piece is based off of the popular black and white spiral illusion. Magicians and hypnotists use the famous black and white spiral to attempt to hypnotize people into believe or doing certain things. I wanted to recreate this because I have always found it interesting how hypnotists can convince people to act a certain way just because of the spinning blacks and white spiral.

Judge: I like this piece a lot because of how basic yet creative it is. I like the idea behind the piece and how it’s aimed to look like it will be moving. I have always found illusions so interesting and I like how I incorporated it into one of my pieces. Once I glaze the bowl I think it will look really nice and you will be able to see the full effect of the spiral and the indents in the piece.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog